Marriage Counseling and Couples Therapy
Couples therapy is a type of therapy that aims to enhance the connection between two people in a long-term relationship. If you and your partner would want to increase your intimacy, enhance your sexual satisfaction, or create more romance in your relationship, you may benefit from couples counseling.
Couples may benefit from therapy if:
- They would like to increase their intimacy, improve their sexual satisfaction, or develop more romance in their relationship
- They want to cooperate more effectively in parenting their children
- They would like to support each other better in managing stress. Sources of stress may include the demands of employment, health concerns, or the responsibilities of parenting.
- They wish to support each other when one or both partners have suffered emotionally, such as after a loss or an illness.
- They would like to manage daily disputes in a more peaceful manner
- They want to resolve differences over major decisions, such as whether to get married or have a child
- They wish to address underlying conflicts in their relationships, such as disputes over money or the role of in-laws
- They want to adjust to a major transition in their relationship. Examples of challenging transitions include: after a couple marries when the first child is born, or upon the retirement of a spouse. Therapy can be particularly helpful when couples are beginning a blended, or stepfamily.
During a session at ASFY Mental Health Care in Bayonne, NJ, one of our therapists usually assists couples in enhancing their communication process. Our therapists encourage couples to express themselves to one another in a clear and caring manner. They urge couples to show their partners that they comprehend and sympathize with each other’s viewpoints. As a couple’s communication improves, the connection between them grows stronger. They become better at resolving conflicts and resolving difficulties, as well as cooperating more effectively.